using "reserved" IPv6 space

Laurent GUERBY laurent at guerby.net
Sat Jul 14 21:04:23 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-07-14 at 09:18 -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2012, at 9:08 AM, Jérôme Nicolle wrote:
>
> > Le 13/07/12 16:38, -Hammer- a écrit :
> >> In the past, with IPv4, we have used reserved or "non-routable"
> >
> > I guess "non-routable IPv4" translates well to "non-routable IPv6", thus
> > putting Link-Local addresses on top of the list.
> >
> > Thought you may use th auto-configured addresses for that purpose, you
> > also may set LLAs to your liking. I use fe80::zone_ID:interface_ID , and
> > set such LLA to every gateways to make routing tables more legible,
> > those ID beeing arbitrary 16bit values.
> >

> Given that zone_IDs in my environments consist of terms like:
>
> fxp0
> en0
> eth0
> ge-0/0/0.0
> etc.
>
> How, exactly, would you turn those into part of an IPv6 address?

Hi,

We use LLA to "virtualize" interconnection to our users:
their network configuration is always static default via fe80::nnnn
and we route their /56 prefix to fe80::xxxx:yyyy where xxxx:yyyy is
unique per user - if our user want to do some routing of course.  Since
we don't have GUA interconnections we don't have to manage them inside
our AS and we can move user stuff around without having them changing
anything to their static configuration.

We give a /56 IPv6 per /32 IPv4 to our user which does /48 = /24 = 256
"IP", it's nice to have more than one /64 around for some uses.

Is there any "mass" hoster around that does provide by default a pefix
larger than /64 and that does route it to the user? It's quite simple to
do in IPv6 and we have the address space for it.

Sincerely,

Laurent