using "reserved" IPv6 space

Adrian Bool aid at logic.org.uk
Fri Jul 13 16:17:29 UTC 2012

On 13 Jul 2012, at 17:11, Tom Cooper wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM, TJ <trejrco at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As an IPv6 newbie myself, I wonder how hosts handle link local, ULA and
> global addresses.
> For example, if you have some internal web traffic used for intranet use
> only, do you bind those servers to use only ULA addresses? This way your
> internal users with ULA addressing only have access to those servers? No
> need to give intranet-only servers a global address if they're not needed
> to be accessed globally.
>
> Is there a way for hosts to "prefer" or "attempt" to connect to a service
> by first trying a link-local scope, then a ULA and finally a global address
> if its off the AS?

There is an RFC that describes how hosts should select addresses in such situations,

	http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3484

As an side; it would be great if some more IPv6 questions could be put on http://ipv6exchange.net/ - I would love to see that become a useful resource for people starting out with IPv6.  If you have an IPv6 question, please do post!

Cheers,

aid