job screening question

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Tue Jul 10 04:35:22 UTC 2012

William Herrin wrote:
> This is, incidentally, is a detail I'd love for one of the candidates
> to offer in response to that question. Bonus points if you discuss MSS
> clamping and RFC 4821.
>
> The less precise answer, path MTU discovery breaks, is just fine.

I would say that the ability to quickly understand, troubleshoot and
find a solution to a problem (and document it) is a far better skill to
have than having ready made answers to interview questions learned by heart.

It should take a skilled person less than 30 minutes to find the answer
to that question and understand it too. The importance of knowing many
things by heart has become incredibly moot.

Greetings,
Jeroen

--
Earthquake Magnitude: 4.4