Any advantage of announcing IPv6/64s Or purely misconfiguration?

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Mon Jul 9 07:04:19 UTC 2012

On 09/07/2012 08:17, Anurag Bhatia wrote:
> I was just looking around and say a major Indian provider Sify (AS9583) is
> announcing /64s via BGP along with main /32 which is their allocation from
> APNIC.
>
> inet6num:       2001:0E48::/32
> netname:        SILNET
>
> I see Tata Comm (Sify's upstream) is accepting /64s while Tinet (one of
> other upstream) is dropping and taking only /32. Other major backbones like
> HE, Level3 dropping but Telia still accepting. Pretty much mixed result.
>
> Is it simply a misconfiguration or there is some use of announcing /64s
> along with main /32?

I would hope its accidental. Most people I've spoken to won't even
consider accepting longer prefixes than /48 and will typically also
refuse to accept any prefixes where there are aggregate announces
covering them.

We're going to end up with a very nasty routing table if people start
pumping all their /64s into it.

--
Graham Beneke