job screening question

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Sun Jul 8 07:12:10 UTC 2012

> From nanog-bounces+bonomi=mail.r-bonomi.com at nanog.org  Sat Jul  7 23:11:09 2012
> Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 23:09:54 -0500
> Subject: Re: job screening question
> From: Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com>
> To: Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf at dessus.com>
> Cc: "nanog at nanog.org" <nanog at nanog.org>
>
> On 7/7/12, Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf at dessus.com> wrote:
> >>"What's the problem with using 255.255.255.247 as a subnet mask if you
> >>want to make a LAN subnet with 12 hosts?"
> >>  (5 word answer)
> > Unemployment Office Is That Way -> Is the only 5 word answer I could
> > come up with.  The correct answer "invalid netmask", is only two words.
>
> 5 words = "The netmask is not valid."
> Also acceptable response; "A netmask must be contiguous."

"Subnet/Netmask is '/31'-equivalennt, unusable."
"Subnet too small/tiny/miniscule/{other synonyms} too use."
"Invalid netmask under CIDR rules"   (also transpose first two words)
"Invalid netmask according to RFC[mumble}"   (also transpose first two words)
"Too many hosts for subnet."
"Twelve hosts will not fit."

"You've _got_ to be kidding!"
"Apparent bit-rot in questions database"

If _written_, I't be tempted to respond:

  A) Netmask is '/31'-equivalent, unusable
  B) Invalid netmask under CIDR rules
  C) Apparent bit-rot in questions database
  D) Question probably itended LSB 248.
  E) Not enough bits in subnet
  F) too many hosts for subnet
  G) all of the above respones