job screening question

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Fri Jul 6 15:50:29 UTC 2012

On 06/07/2012 16:12, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 17:42:42 +1000, Matthew Palmer said:
>
>> Ugh, I know someone (thankfully no longer a current colleague) who ardently
>> *defends* his use of questions like "what does the -M option to ps do?" on
>
> Is that an African ps or a European ps? ;)

I'll admit that I once asked a question like in an interview, but it was
only because the candidate had said that he was an expert with the "tar"
command.  If you're going to be that full of poop on a CV, you should
expect to be called up on it.

[against my advice, the candidate was hired and was a disaster.  I left the
company shortly afterwards.]

Nick