F-ckin Leap Seconds, how do they work?

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Thu Jul 5 11:05:54 UTC 2012

On 05/07/2012 11:34, Jared Mauch wrote:
> Live further north and you will see the difference dst makes.

This is true.  Ireland, UK, NL, Denmark, northern Germany and northern
Poland are at a similar latitude to Polar Bear Provincial Park by Hudson
Bay.  With DST, we get much more usable evenings March through October, and
the sun rises at 05:00 instead of 04:00 in the morning, so early risers
don't get woken up at 4 every day.  During the winter, regular time means
that we have sunrise after 08:30 for 5 weeks.  At this latitude, DST is
serious win.

Nick