Fwd: Re: F-ckin Leap Seconds, how do they work?

shawn wilson ag4ve.us at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 15:35:00 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "shawn wilson" <ag4ve.us at gmail.com>
Date: Jul 3, 2012 11:33 AM
Subject: Re: F-ckin Leap Seconds, how do they work?
To: "Joel jaeggli" <joelja at bogus.com>

I agree with TAI. Epoch is supposed to be an unsigned long int starting
~1970 (there are are 4 epochs iirc, but never mind that). I don't recall
the rfc, but I don't recall this spec mentioning leap seconds (and it
shouldn't).

Frankly our time system is buggy as hell (no year 0, base 60 seconds and
minutes, base 24 hours, no standard month base, e/m isn't a part of the
system, etc). I find my last issue the most disconcerting with our system
and makes it really unreliable - GPS time is *not* earth time and we rely
on that skew for everything. To that point, I hate to think how many
missile tests it took them to figure that one out :)

However there is no reason to add more crap to an already messed up system.