FYI Netflix is down

James Downs egon at egon.cc
Tue Jul 3 15:15:18 UTC 2012

On Jul 3, 2012, at 6:11 AM, Dan Golding wrote:

> Also, I don't think there is an acceptable level of downtime for water.
> Neither do water utilities.

I remember a certain conversation I had with a web-developer. We were talking about "zero downtime releases". He thought it was acceptable if the website went down for 15 minutes, "because people will just come back". Naturally, he was not as forgiving about the idea that his bank might think the same way, or that I might provide DB or server uptimes with that kind of reliability.

Downtime will kill some companies, and not others. Twitter certainly survived their fail-whale period. But then, no one pays for twitter.

-j