FYI Netflix is down

Dan Golding dgolding at ragingwire.com
Mon Jul 2 15:01:59 UTC 2012

Actually, it was a very complex power outage. I'm going to assume that what happened this weekend was similar to the event that happened at the same facility approximately two weeks ago (its immaterial - the details are probably different, but it illustrates the complexity of a data center failure)

Utility Power Failed
First Backup Generator Failed (shut down due to a faulty fan)
Second Backup Generator Failed (breaker coordination problem resulting in faulty trip of a breaker)

In this case, it was clearly a cascading failure, although only limited in scope. The failure in this case, also clearly involved people. There was one material failure (the fan), but the system should have been resilient enough to deal with it. The system should also have been resilient enough to deal with the breaker coordination issue (which should not have occurred), but was not. Data centers are not commodities. There is a way to engineer these facilities to be much more resilient. Not everyone's business model supports it.

- Dan