Please help our simple bgp

Fredy Kuenzler kuenzler at init7.net
Tue Jan 31 10:27:52 UTC 2012

Am 31.01.2012 04:06, schrieb Joel Maslak:
> There are several ways to handle this is, if you have at least two
> /24s of space.
>
> Let's say you just have two /24s, both part of the same /23.
>
> [...]

Sad to see that deaggregation is still propagated to handle this issue. As a
matter of fact deaggregation pollutes the global BGP table with more than
40% of rubbish, mainly caused by this silly type of traffic engineering. See
the weekly routing table report or the CIDR report:

> Analysis Summary
> ----------------
>
> BGP routing table entries examined:                              394446
>     Prefixes after maximum aggregation:                          169250
>     Deaggregation factor:                                          2.33
>     Unique aggregates announced to Internet:                     191523

There are many smarter ways to manage unbalanced links. See my slides
presented on various occations (page 31 to 48) which describes the
disadvantages and collateral damage of deaggregation:

http://www.swinog.ch/meetings/swinog23/p/03_BGP-traffic-engineering-considerations-v0.2.pdf

HTH,

--
Fredy Künzler