MD5 considered harmful

Zaid Ali zaid at zaidali.com
Sat Jan 28 00:04:49 UTC 2012

I am in the camp of no MD5 in general and more specifically IX. It is a
real pain to manage MD5 and no network in my experience has ever
implemented a sustainable solution. There is no BCP that folks follow so
generally its a verbal agreement that someone in either party will
maintain the record. This works until that operator leaves the job and the
MD5 is in their email box which is no longer accessible. I would say this
is pretty common, I have inherited quite a few networks where I had to
deal with this problem. Also most common places where people store MD5's
are not in secure locations. I would argue that even though you connect
via shared medium in the case of an IX you can still use TTL.

Zaid