Customer service (was Re: US DOJ victim letter)

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Jan 27 12:52:26 CST 2012

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, Mike wrote:
> Honestly, I could care less about customer virus infections. I am not going
> to do anything with the information and am likely to ignore future
> occurrences from the fbi if this is all they got.

Each ISP will makes its own business decision what they want to do.

I'm not involved with it, and this is just my personal opinion.,

The idea is DNS resolution will stop working for those customers after
the court order expires and the temporary DNS server stops.  Those
customers will likely start calling your customer service lines saying
"The Internet is broken."

Instead of ISP call centers being overloaded with customer calls all at
once when the temporary DNS servers answering on the DNSchanger IP
addresses are shutdown, the FBI is trying to give those ISPs a heads
up their customers' DNS will break in the near future.  The FBI hasn't
done this before, so its a bit of a learning experience for everyone.
Like many first time things, it hasn't gone as smoothly as anyone wanted.

It is up to individual ISPs to decide if they want to inform their
customers proactively, or wait until DNS stops working for the customer
and the customer calls the ISP help desk complaining the Internet is down.
Yes, I know, the Internet isn't down; but ask your customer service
manager what they want to do.