XBOX 720: possible digital download mass service.

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Jan 27 15:45:07 UTC 2012

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, Tei wrote:

> Can internet in USA support that?   Call of Duty 15 releases may 2014
> and 30 million gamers start downloading a 20 GB files.  Would the
> internet collapse like a house of cards?.

I don't see a problem with supporting this.  As other posters have said,
any congestion that results from this would likely be concentrated at or
near 'the last mile' - the downloader's location or the download server's
location.  Even then, the result would be that it takes longer to
download the game data - not a total meltdown.  Also, while there would
very likely be a big rush to download Call of Duty 15 the millisecond it's
released, it's not likely that every one of those 30 million gamers will
do that at the same time.  I would hope that Microsoft/Sony/other major
game producers do some sort of geographic disribution of their downloads,
or use one of the several CDNs that are available, if those logistics can
be worked out.

jms