XBOX 720: possible digital download mass service.

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jan 27 12:46:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:35:49 +0100, Tei said:

> Theres also a rumour that these new consoles will require internet to
> download games.

Apply some logic here - is it in the vendor's best interests to *require*
internet to download games?  As somebody else pointed out, there's an awful lot
of current-gen consoles in tents in Mongolia and farmhouses in Montana - do you
want to make a product that those people can't buy and use *at all*?

There's also a large segment of the gaming community that will, in fact, be
rather upset if you take away the ritual of camping out in front of GameStop.

> Can internet in USA support that?   Call of Duty 15 releases may 2014
> and 30 million gamers start downloading a 20 GB files.  Would the
> internet collapse like a house of cards?.

I'll go out on a limb and say that neither Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo are stupid
enough to release the sort of console your rumors predict until after the guys
at NetFlix have made it safe for them to do so. :)