BFD over every 802.1ax member port?

Fred David freddavidfreddavid at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 06:00:49 UTC 2012

Hi,

I want to track individual member links inside a .1ax trunk (LAG)
using BFD since the best timer that we can get with efm-oam is around
100ms as opposed to BFD which can get as low as 10ms (on most
platforms). Its while "googling" on this that i came across work being
done in IETF that describes exactly this - draft-mmm-bfd-on-lags-02
[BFD]. Wanted to ask folks if there are any implementations of this
draft or if there are vendors that are already doing something similar
to what is described in this draft?

We dont want to use LACP as thats a slow protocol and it takes an
order of seconds to detect a failed link before its removed from use.
We are also not keen on using .1ag and .3ah and would want to rely on
BFD to detect the failed link for us.

Freddy "Dave"

[BFD] "Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) on Link Aggregation
Group (LAG) Interfaces"
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-mmm-bfd-on-lags-02.txt