juniper mx80 vs cisco asr 1000

Vinny Abello vinny at abellohome.net
Wed Jan 25 20:14:33 UTC 2012

On 1/25/2012 2:32 PM, Tom Hill wrote:
> On 25/01/12 18:57, George Bonser wrote:
>> I've noticed that though I think that is only on the hardware console port.  Most of the work I do is via the management port.  If I'm on the console serial port, then I am working manually and just deal with the ^H thing.  I don't think that issue by itself is enough to prevent me from buying a piece of gear.
>
> The CES (at least) does it via SSH, too.
>
> (I use the standard Gnome terminal, so we're talking the same application for serial and SSH/telnet use.)
>
> Annoyingly the Dell 5400 series switches do it on their console ports, too. Thankfully they don't once you're in via SSH. But no-one cares about those!

So do the 55xx's, unfortunately. I'm not sure about the other PowerConnect series. The firmware largely varies in syntax from one model to the next but the 54xx and 55xx seem largely the same. If I get some spare time, I'll look into digging up some contacts from the PowerConnect team and suggest they fix the backspace console issue.

-Vinny