Choice of address for IPv6 default gateway

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Wed Jan 25 14:52:36 UTC 2012

I've had good luck in a corporate environment using fe80::1 on Cisco 6500/7600 with newer IOS. However, some software routers still won't let you use a link-local as a VIP (at least in HSRP). I'm upgrading one of our 7200 tonight running 15.1(4)M1 to M3, hopefully that will fix it (we are upgrading it for other reasons).

For example:

int vlan110
 standby 110 ipv6 FE80::1
 standby 110 timers msec 250 msec 750
 standby 110 priority 110
 standby 110 preempt delay minimum 180

----
Matthew Huff             | 1 Manhattanville Rd
Director of Operations   | Purchase, NY 10577
OTA Management LLC       | Phone: 914-460-4039