VZ FiOS DNS issues:

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Mon Jan 23 11:20:59 UTC 2012

Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Brandon Kim
> <brandon.kim at brandontek.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have FIOS and I have no issues. However I do know awhile back they had issues and I was affected by
>> the outage....
>>
>> Maybe it hasn't made its way to me yet....
>>

> there have been instances over the time i've been a fios customer that
> 'upgrades' to devices in the field have caused this problem (last was
> ~2wks ago? in the washington, dc area).
>
> Could be you are seeing this problem affecting you :(

I'm a FIOS customer (LATA 246 not 236 like Chris), and haven't had any
issues with the network.  On the other hand, between my location and
the fact that I'm on an old BPON build, perhaps the software upgrades
haven't affected me.  To further complicate things, ever suspicious of
ISP nameservers that don't do DNSSEC validation and monetize rcode 3,
and not a fan of the Actiontec boxes that Verizon hands out I run my
own cacheing nameserver (hand-built openbsd+pf on embedded hardware
with latest bind or unbound and isc dhcpd).

Do things magically start working for you if you hard-code 8.8.8.8 or
4.2.2.1 or one of the other usual suspects?  That would seem to be a
quick way of narrowing it down a bit.

-r