Megaupload.com seized

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Jan 22 04:03:00 UTC 2012

On Jan 21, 2012, at 8:00 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> [...]

Actually, that's often not true in recent laws.  There was an article in the
Wall Street Journal a month or so ago that gave some glaring examples of not
just laws but actual convictions.

> In this case, the doer was negligent, rather than purposefully malicious,
> but we have solutions for that as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by "doer" here.

http://opinion.latimes.com/opinionla/2012/01/copyrights-feds-push-novel-theories-in-megaupload-case.html
has an interesting analysis.  It presents a number of factual statements that
are capable of multiple interpretations.  This in turn means that much of the
case is likely to turn on scienter, which in turn means heavy reliance on the
seized emails.  This will be an interesting case to watch.