Megaupload.com seized

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Sat Jan 21 19:49:34 UTC 2012

On 01/21/2012 11:38 AM, George Bonser wrote:
> Entire governments in the US are using "cloud storage" for their documentation these days.  It is my understanding (which is hearsay) that Google has an entire service aimed at small governments (county and municipal mostly) in Google Docs for just this purpose and I know of at least one city on California that is using Google for their document repository and their city email.  In case of an emergency where Google is unreachable, they are in a world of hurt and won't even be able to send email from one department to another in city hall because all their mail and documents are now "in the cloud" which would then be inaccessible to them rather than on a server in their local data center.  So ... and Earthquake in Santa Clara county might take out city governments in Monterey or Santa Cruz counties which might otherwise be perfectly able to conduct their business.

Sure, but balance that with podunk.usa's possibly incompetent IT staff? It costs
a lot of money to run a state of the art shop, but only incrementally more as
you add more and more instances of essentially identical shops. I guess I have
more trust that Google is going to get the redundancy, etc right than your average
IT operation.

Now whether you should *trust* Google with all of that information from a
security standpoint is another kettle of fish.

Mike