Polling Bandwidth as an Aggregate

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at wisc.edu
Fri Jan 20 04:48:52 UTC 2012

Hi Keegan,

On Jan 19, 2012, at 9:50 PM, Keegan Holley wrote:
> Has anyone had to aggregate bandwidth data from multiple interfaces
> for billing.  For example I'd like to poll with an open source tool
> and aggregate data from multiple interfaces connected to the same
> customer or multiple customers for the purpose of billing and capacity
> management.  Is there an easy way to do this with cacti/rrd or another
> open source kit?

With the rrdtool backend, you can certainly define and add multiple
sources from different files together.  Using 'AREA' first and
subsequently 'STACK' to view multiple data sources is particularly
nice for visualization.

Otherwise, the RRDs and Statistics::Descriptive libraries in Perl can
probably go a long way towards what you might be wanting for reporting.

Dale