RIS raw data

Shane Amante shane at castlepoint.net
Thu Jan 19 15:26:05 UTC 2012

On Jan 19, 2012, at 5:52 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
>> In some cases I saw the export policy ANNOUNCE ANY, is this consistent
>> with a particular AS behaving like the RIPE AS was its customer?
>
> well, if i was to take that literally, that would include internal
> prefixes, e.g. some of p2p inter-router links, loopbacks, ...
>
> of course, taking anything from the IRR literally is naïve at best.

Please don't conflate the policy mechanisms enabled by the IRR policy *language*/specification itself with the *data* contained in the IRR ...

> some years back, i asked for a *simple minimal* tagging of announcements
> to route views, just peer, customer, internal.  it got ietfed to utter
> uselessness, with more crap welded on to it than envisioned in mad max.

Wrt your last paragraph: care to share a link the I-D (or, RFC) that you allude to above?

I think your last paragraph is alluding to tagging routes with standard BGP communities, based on your "simple minimal" criteria, before they are sent to route-views.  That strikes me as potentially orthogonal to issues with the present data in the IRR.

-shane