World IPv6 Launch Day - June 6, 2012

Shumon Huque shuque at isc.upenn.edu
Wed Jan 18 04:38:05 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 08:17:40PM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Another very sad thing about it:
>
> delong-dhcp202:owen (9) ~ % host www.worldipv6launch.org                   2012/01/16 21:24:21
> www.worldipv6launch.org is an alias for www.worldipv6launch.org.edgesuite.net.
> www.worldipv6launch.org.edgesuite.net is an alias for a1448.b.akamai.net.
> a1448.b.akamai.net has address 72.246.53.104
> a1448.b.akamai.net has address 72.246.53.8
>

> I don't seem to be able to get to the site on IPv6.
>
> Owen

I heard that it initially had AAAA records. After the site
couldn't keep up with the initial load, it was migrated to
Akamai's CDN (the DNS records you see now are those), and
Akamai doesn't yet offer IPv6 in production, so no IPv6.

Akamai does have a trial IPv6 program though - we host IPv6
capable Akamai nodes on our campus for example, and a non
production version of our university website is using it -
so ISOC could try seeing if they could be hosted on that
infrastructure.

--
Shumon Huque
University of Pennsylvania.