How are you doing DHCPv6 ?

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Tue Jan 17 22:04:02 UTC 2012

I am wondering how people out there are using DHCPv6 to handle assigning prefixes to end users.

We have a requirement for it to be a redundant server that is centrally located. DHCPv6 will be relayed from each customer access segment.

We have been looking at using ISC dhcpd, as that is what we use for v4. However, it currently does not support any redundancy. It also does not do very much useful logging for DHCPv6 requests. Certainly not enough to keep track of users and devices.

So, my questions are:

How are you doing DHCPv6 with Prefix Delegation?

What software are you using?

When DHCPv6 with Prefix Delegation seems to be about the only way to deploy IPv6 to end users in a generic device-agnostic fashion, I am wondering why it is so difficult to find a working solution.

thanks,
-Randy

--
----