enterprise 802.11

Joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Jan 16 17:38:49 UTC 2012

On 1/15/12 11:30 , Ken King wrote:
> I need to choose a wireless solution for a new office.
>
> up to 600 devices will connect.  most devices are mac books and mobile phones.
>
> we can see hundreds of access points in close proximity to our new office space.
>
> what are the thoughts these days on the best enterprise solution/vendor?

My normal advice is fairly vendor independant.

use dual band dual radio APs. 802.11A attenuates much more effectively
in residential/commercial construction so the cells are smaller and
there's a lot more spectrum... you'll attract all macs, as well as ipads
and most enterprise laptops to 802.11a/n

Don't run mixed mode in the 2.4ghz band. drop the output power on the
2.4ghz radios to ~30mw, turn off the 802.11b rates, and increase the
multicast rate to at least 12Mb/s

plan for not more that 50 people per ap (remember the aps have dual radios).

if you're going to use 40mhz channels (and n-rates) do so only on 5.8ghz
where the map coloring problem is tractable.