Whois 172/12

Jay Moran jay+NANOG at tp.org
Sun Jan 15 16:39:48 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:

> AOL has and uses (publicly) a bunch of space in 172/8.  In fact, looking
> at a BGP table, I'd say they're by far the largest user (one of the only)
> in that /8.

We, AOL, have 172.128/10, 172.192/12, 172.208/13, 172.216/16. These blocks
represent our dial-up ISP customers that can't seem to get broadband or for
whatever reason, stay on dial-up. Also pretty amazingly is how high the
simultaneous user count has stayed, guess the folks that left weren't the
ones on in the evenings between 7-10pm ET. We (mostly me) are looking into
solutions to be able to remove the reliance on this space. Unfortunately,
most of the developers, who created the various servers/applications that
dole out these addresses, all left in the late 90's with some pretty fat
wallets; at this point... it's an archeology dig.

Jay
--
Jay Moran
http://tp.org/jay