VPC=S/MLT?

Charles Spurgeon c.spurgeon at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 13 20:10:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 01:38:26PM -0600, -Hammer- wrote:
> Wow. A fellow greybeard. OK. That's what I needed to know. I'm trying to
> understand if VPC has any more recent enhancements that weren't around
> for some older multi-chassis channel methods but I don't see anything
> specific in the docs other than some FHRP (HSRP only it appears) and PIM
> tweaks. If anyone has some really deep docs on VPC I'd appreciate the
> links. Thanks.

These two docs provide a lot of details:

vPC fundamental concepts:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/C07-572835-00_NX-OS_vPC_DG.pdf

"Data Center Access Design with Cisco Nexus 5000 Series Switches and 2000 Series Fabric Extenders and Virtual PortChannels Updated to Cisco NX-OS Software Release 5.1(3)N1(1):
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/C07-572829-01_Design_N5K_N2K_vPC_DG.pdf

-Charles

Charles E. Spurgeon / UTnet
UT Austin ITS / Networking