So... my colo was just bought.

Dylan Ebner dylan.ebner at crlmed.com
Tue Jan 10 16:28:51 UTC 2012

Jay-

We experianced a similar situation 5 or 6 years ago. We were in a SAS70-II colo that had great staff and an impressive track record. They were national, but not huge. When we picked them, we had two colo providers that were competing for our business. The other was the company that bought our colo. In the end, we made our decision not on price/options, but we felt the smaller company would give us better service. We were right. The new owners are enormous and corprate thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread. I can tell you they are not. Since the buyout, we have had too many account reps to count on one hand, they are never local and they never seem to care. Getting anything done inside the DC is so complicated we almost never use our remote hands. Even getting into the DC now takes 15 minutes because of all the checks we have to go through. Unfortuneatly where I am located there are only 2 colos that can provide 15kw/rack reliably, and one company owns both of them.