QinQ switch or similar

Matt Addison matt.addison at lists.evilgeni.us
Fri Jan 6 23:36:22 UTC 2012

Sent from my mobile device, so please excuse any horrible misspellings.

On Jan 6, 2012, at 15:32, Bonald <bonald at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> We need to purchase some switch that support 1gbit QinQ.
> Any suggestions ? We need to connect 9 schools together in layer2.
> All 9 schools have 1gb link from our provider, provider gaves us 5 vlan to
> work with.
> We have around 35 vlan in-house.
>
> We are low budget. Any recommendation beside QinQ ?

Your provider won't do QinQ for you? Have you verified they support
the appropriate MTU for you to do your own QinQ under their tag (at
least 1502)?

As far as equipment, most Cisco kit from 3550 on up will do QinQ.

Other alternatives would be to light it with routers and do EoMPLS or
VPLS, but it'll be more expensive than just doing QinQ but potentially
more scalable/stable.