Whacky Weekend: Is Internet Access a Human Right?

Kevin Stange kevin at steadfast.net
Thu Jan 5 18:01:01 UTC 2012

On 01/05/2012 11:34 AM, Jon Schipp wrote:
> I think the idea that food, shelter etc. are human rights is absurd.
> Doesn't that imply that someone must provide those things for me? What
> if they don't want to? Does that mean they are forced to? Which would
> be a violation of their human rights.

Human rights are things that no government or person should have the
right to *take away* from someone.  For example, a government need not
provide food to all people who need it necessarily, but they must not
prevent people from gaining access to food if they want it.

I would argue that the better societies have systems in place for
providing access to things that are human rights via the government when
no one else is able to step up.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer