Does anybody out there use Authentication Header (AH)?

Glen Kent glen.kent at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 01:04:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 6:27 AM, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:
> I'm using AH for OSPFv2 and OSPFv3 authentication.  For OSPFv3, there
> is no other option than some kind of IPsec for authentication.  I'm
> also using it for OSPFv2 so I don't have to maintain multiple
> authentication methods and keys for the different protocols.

OSPF WG has come out with a mechanism that can be used to secure
OSPFv3 without IPsec -
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ospf-auth-trailer-ospfv3-11

It should get published as an RFC any time now.

BTW, there isnt any standard for using IPsec with OSPFv2, so youre
probably using a proprietary solution. I think a better solution is to
move to OSPFv3-AT, as its very similar to OSPFv2 authentication.

Glen