BBC reports Kenya fiber break

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Feb 29 15:08:50 UTC 2012

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012, Rodrick Brown wrote:

> There's about 1/2 a dozen or so known private and government research
> facilities on Antarctica and I'm surprised to see no fiber end points on
> that continent? This can't be true.

Constantly shifting ice shelves and glaciers make a terrestrial cable
landing very difficult to implement on Antarctica.  Satellite connectivity
is likely the only feasible option.  There are very few places in
Antarctica that are reliably ice-free enough of the time to make a viable
terrestrial landing station.  Getting connectivity from the landing
station to other places on the continent is another matter altogether.

jms