Programmers with network engineering skills

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Tue Feb 28 16:43:47 UTC 2012

+1 on both.  Senior network guys learn programming/scripting as a way to
automate configuration and deal with large amounts of data.  It's an
enhancement for us and most network people are willing to expand their
programming skills given the time.  On the other hand there are way too
many jobs where programmers can just be programmers for many of them to be
interested in expanding their networking skills even if they have prior
experience.  If they become interested in the "hardware" world they usually
go toward systems administrator and OS's.  Some of them are big enough
geeks to want to learn both or all three, but those are few and far
between.  It's very likely that such programmers frequent this list so
hopefully I won't get flamed for posting this.  EIther way it's just
semantics, but it is generally easier to find a network guy that wants to
learn how to program or get better at it than to find a programmer who is
dying to learn about networking.  Not sure if I agree with the opinion
about generalists.  There are alot of people who view technology as both a
job and a hobby and become experts in what pays their bills and then slowly
learn something about everything via osmosis.  There are alot of people
that never saw a book or trade rag they didn't like.