BBC reports Kenya fiber break

Mike Andrews mikea at
Tue Feb 28 09:23:15 CST 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:20:10AM -0800, virendra rode wrote:
> On 02/27/2012 08:11 AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> > Is anyone seeing this ?
> >

> > "East Africa's high-speed internet access has been severely disrupted
> > after a ship dropped its anchor onto fibre-optic cables off Kenya's
> > coast."

The ship was reported to have dropped anchor while in a restricted or
prohibited area. These areas are _EXTREMELY_ well marked on charts. I can't
see it being anything other than human or mechanical error: not checking if
the ship is in a no-anchorage area, or the anchor chain wildcat brake _and_
the anchor chain blocking device fail simultaneously, or watch officer
totally mistakes the ship's location and orders the anchor to be let go.

Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at
Tired old sysadmin