Programmers with network engineering skills

John Mitchell mitch at illuminati.org
Tue Feb 28 14:03:33 UTC 2012

<rant>

I would wholeheartedly agree with this, but I believe its worse than
just that. I used to categorize myself as a full developer, now I'm
slightly ashamed to be tainted with that brush since there's so many
people using the term who don't know the first thing about programming.

It used to be that when you were taught programming, you were taught
concepts (when to use a for loop, while loop, Boolean algebra), then
you built on the foundations by learning advanced concepts  (data
structures, how to program concurrently using semaphores etc etc), you
would then pick some optional classes to make up for some non
programming specific knowledge (networking, linux admin, etc etc).

I now have a lot of friends who work in academia and they are worried
by a decline (as am I when trying to hire new talent). Currently the
teaching process is one of learning to program like a monkey, monkey
see monkey do. People are no longer taught to think for themselves, but
instead taught to program in a specific language (PHP, Java, rarely C
or C++ any more, C#, or VB) and that is all they know. I don't believe
this is a failing with the lecturers but with the fundamental change in
attitudes to programming.

One of the tests I give all interviewees is write a very short program
in a language they have never ever used before ( personally I recommend
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck ) since this gives people a
chance to show they can program rather than being able to tell me "I
know PHP" or "I know C", suprisingly very few newer programmers can
make it through, or even try it, because the concept of thinking for
themselves is so last year.

</rant>