dns and software, was Re: Reliable Cloud host ?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Feb 28 09:32:17 UTC 2012

On Feb 27, 2012, at 9:45 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

> 	getaddrinfo was designed to be extensible as was struct
> 	addrinfo.  Part of the problem with TTL is not data sources
> 	used by getaddrinfo have TTL information.  Additionally for
> 	many uses you want to reconnect to the same server rather
> 	than the same name.  Note there is nothing to prevent a
> 	getaddrinfo implementation maintaining its own cache though
> 	if I was implementing such a cache I would have a flag to
> 	to force a refresh.

Sorry if I wasn't clear... My point to Bill was that we should be using calls that don't have TTL information
(GAI/GNI in their default forms). That we don't need to abuse connect() to achieve that. That if people use GAI/GNI(), then, any brokenness is system-wide brokenness in the system's resolver library and should be addressed there.

Owen