Programmers with network engineering skills

Jared Newell jnewell at equinix.com
Tue Feb 28 01:24:54 UTC 2012

Doug,

I think the difference is that network engineers typically find themselves wanting to learn some form of programming to automate routine tasks while doing their job as a network engineer.  They've actually managed to be interested in programming while pursuing a career in networking out of necessity.

On the other hand, I think it's very rare for a hard-core programmer/developer to want to learn more about networking because it typically doesn't come up in their job when coding a professional application / large product with many moving parts and "more than one person on the team".

I'm sure it can happen either way and has (as many people have posted going either direction in this thread), but there needs to be some desire to learn for the individual.  I think you'll find a network engineer desiring to improve their programming skills much easier than a developer that wants to learn improve their networking skills beyond plugging a router into their home network.

-Jared