Programmers with network engineering skills

Rodrick Brown rodrick.brown at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 01:04:04 UTC 2012

On Feb 27, 2012, at 7:53 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 27, 2012, at 12:02 PM, Brandt, Ralph wrote:
>>> Generalists are hard to come by these days.
>>
>> I think you're more likely to find a network engineer with (possibly limited)
>> programming skills.
>
> I wish. For the past three months I've been trying to find a network
> engineer with a deep TCP/IP protocol understanding, network security
> expertise, some Linux experience, minor programming skill with sockets
> and a TS/SCI clearance.
>
> The clearance is killing me. The two generalists didn't have a
> clearance and the cleared applicants are programmers or admins but
> never both.
>

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Rodrick Brown <rodrick.brown at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Good Luck guys like these are being scooped up by large financial
>> firms and hedgefunds and they don't come cheap  ~$250k easy!
>
> Not all of them. I've been approached a few times but there is
> something sleazy about helping a bunch of tycoons do millisecond
> timing attacks against the market. The money doesn't magically appear.
> Every dollar they squeeze out that way is stolen from some grandmother
> who has held the stock for 20 years.

Try explaining the number of ex-Bell Lab R&D folks working on trading desks these days. A major financial firm I worked for in the past directly targeted candidates from the telecom industry. In recent news a russian programmer who allegedly stole Goldman Sachs proprietary code was making $400k/year and he's probably still on the market looking for work :-)