Programmers with network engineering skills

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Feb 28 00:53:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2012, at 12:02 PM, Brandt, Ralph wrote:
>> Generalists are hard to come by these days.
>
> I think you're more likely to find a network engineer with (possibly limited)
> programming skills.

I wish. For the past three months I've been trying to find a network
engineer with a deep TCP/IP protocol understanding, network security
expertise, some Linux experience, minor programming skill with sockets
and a TS/SCI clearance.

The clearance is killing me. The two generalists didn't have a
clearance and the cleared applicants are programmers or admins but
never both.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Rodrick Brown <rodrick.brown at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good Luck guys like these are being scooped up by large financial
> firms and hedgefunds and they don't come cheap  ~$250k easy!

Not all of them. I've been approached a few times but there is
something sleazy about helping a bunch of tycoons do millisecond
timing attacks against the market. The money doesn't magically appear.
Every dollar they squeeze out that way is stolen from some grandmother
who has held the stock for 20 years.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004