do not filter your customers - part2

fredrik danerklint fredan-nanog at fredan.se
Mon Feb 27 19:36:57 UTC 2012

If we are gonna start to get somewhere with this issue, how about to
make sure the routing/prefix databases is correct first?

Please see:
https://www.fredan.se/temp/prefixes.tar

In that file you will find 'not_allowed_to_announce6' which contains
about 2307 prefixes of ipv6 which is not in any routing/prefix databases
OR the prefix that was submitted to it was wrong (probably the syntax of
that prefix).

Which bring us to the next question.

Why on earth is it possible to submit a faulty prefix into a database
today? Why is there (basically) no verification at all?
Please take a look at 'databases_to_prefixes.sh' see what's going on
(ok, some of the databases is probably for internal use only and we
need to filter that - but it is so much more that needs to be filtered).

Also in that file you will find 'prefixes4' and 'prefixes6' which
contains all the prefixes after all the checking has been made (One
prefix per line). These two files could be really useful for everybody
in this community if someone (like the RIR:s) made those available to
all of us, so we don't have to download all the databases, just the
prefixes....

(And I know that AS52011 is announce to two prefixes which is not in the
databases. Thank you very much).

--
//fredan