Network Traffic Collection

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Feb 23 21:59:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, Maverick wrote:

> I want to be able to see information like how much traffic an ip send
> over a period of time, what machines it talked to etc from this
> perspective it should be IP based but I would really like to know how
> other people do it.

Truth is that most people probably don't do it, beyond temporary, ad-hoc
deployments, to solve a specific problem at a specific point in time.
Traffic capture and analysis doesn't scale too well into multi-Gb/s
service provider environments.

Netflow tools are an option if 'reasonably accurate' is good enough for
your needs.

jms