Most energy efficient (home) setup

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Thu Feb 23 02:41:42 UTC 2012

--As of February 22, 2012 3:48:42 PM -0600, Joe Greco is alleged to have
said:

>> Right now my always on server is a VIA artigo 1100 pico-itx system
>> (replacing the G4 system) and my "router/firewall/modem" is still the el
>> cheapo DSL modem (which runs busybox by the way). I have an upgraded
>> workstation that's "sometimes on", it has a mini itx form factor (AMD
>> phenom2 CPU). I use debian on all systems.
>>
>> I haven't measured it but I think if the set up would use 30 watts
>> continuously (only taking the always on systems into account) it'd be a
>> lot. Of course it'll spike when I fire up the workstation.
>>
>> It's not extremely energy efficient but compared to some setups I read
>> about it is. The next step would be to migrate to a plugcomputer or
>> something similar (http://plugcomputer.org/).
>>
>> Any suggestions and ideas appreciated of course. :-)
>
> You want truly energy efficient but not too resource limited like the
> Pogoplug and stuff like that?  Look to Apple's Mac mini.
>
> The current Mac mini "Server" model sports an i7 2.0GHz quad-core CPU
> and up to 16GB RAM (see OWC for that, IIRC).  Two drives, up to 750GB
> each, or SSD's if you prefer.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

There is an intermediate step as well; something along the lines of an ALIX
or Fit-PC (or Netgate) board.  These are boards designed for
embedded/network applications, mostly.  (Although the Fit-PC looks to be
more of a thin client desktop.)  Depending on the use, one can run a decent
home server on one, or even a lightweight *nix desktop.

Most of these don't actually specify what they use, power-wise; they just
list what power supply is included.  Fit-PC advertises that it runs at .5
watts for standby, 8 watts fully loaded.  Many of the others are probably
similar, depending on how powerful they actually are, and how you configure
them.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.