Most energy efficient (home) setup

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Wed Feb 22 22:38:19 UTC 2012

Leigh Porter wrote:
> You dudes need to get with the times and put all this stuff in the cloud.
> Ok so I joke a little..

The "cloud" seems to be a more modern implementation of the mainframe
"paradigm" (and now I feel soiled having used 2 such words in one
sentence). It has its uses, though it's interesting to see how things go
full circle. I predict a move away from "the cloud" in about a decade,
give or take.

> The only thing I keep at home now is storage.

I do have a few virtual private servers (and use them) and have set up a
few VPS serving servers myself. However it's fun to tinker with hardware
and if I'd migrate as much as possible to VPS systems it'd take a big
chunk of the fun out of it.

As a side note, the main reasons for me to have a more energy efficient
setup is not to "go green" (there are better ways for that) but because
it is a fun challenge, I dislike paying bigger bills, and I hate the
clutter and the noise a big setup brings.

Greetings,
Jeroen

--
Earthquake Magnitude: 3.2