Laptop with reverse VGA

Jake Khuon khuon at neebu.net
Mon Feb 20 23:39:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 23:23 +0200, Jussi Peltola wrote:

> The display would require a scaler/processor/ADC/TMDS receiver, which are
> found in every standalone LCD. This stuff consumes multiple watts (it
> becomes hot enough to cook itself in a few years after all) so it will
> not appear in a laptop any time soon.

I think the form-factour is already there.  I have a Motorola Atrix
smartphone.  It's available with a laptop-dock unit.  This is
essentially a USB hub and display.  The display is connected by
outputting from the phone's HDMI port.  The rest of the input/output
device (keyboard and trackpad) are seen as USB connected devices and
interfaced via the phone's USB port (Atrix supports USB host mode).

Essentially, this laptop dock is what people are talking about except
for a generic host instead of for a phone. We would want to expose the
HDMI input generically and probably with an additional VGA input.  Of
course there are also VGA-HDMI converters.  Anyone wanna ring up
Motorola to see if they're interesting in adapting the Atrix laptop-dock
technology?

--
/*=================[ Jake Khuon <khuon at NEEBU.Net> ]=================+
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | -------- |