WW: Colo Vending Machine

Joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Feb 20 17:51:59 UTC 2012

http://www.startech.com/Server-Management/KVM-Switches/Portable-USB-PS-2-KVM-Console-Adapter-for-Notebook-PCs~NOTECONS01

> I'm sure there would be dozens of companies
> that would order them in a heartbeat, to be able to
> do away with the constant need for crash carts
> rolling around the datacenter aisles.  Heck, even
> I'd order one--I could finally get rid of the old monitors
> I keep around the house for debugging random
> server problems in the rack upstairs.  :/

Dozens is a rather small market when a production run is a couple
hundred thousand units...

Things with legacy ports on them are on the way out. given an ipmi
manager that doesn't suck there should be no reason to connect to the
machine at all, to console in. the rats nest is a lot more tractable
when there is ethernet and power and nothing else.