Common operational misconceptions

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Feb 20 00:24:49 UTC 2012

On Feb 18, 2012, at 3:31 AM, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> David Barak wrote:
>
>>> From: Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
>>
>>> Sigh... NAT is a horrible hack that served us all too well in
> >> address conservation. Beyond that, it is merely a source of pain.
>>
>> I understand why you say that - NAT did yeoman's work in address
> > conservation. However, it also enabled (yes, really) lots of
> > topologies and approaches which are *not* designed upon the
> > end-to-end model. Some of these approaches have found their way
> > into business proceses.
>
> I'm afraid both of you don't try to understand why NAT was
> harmful to destroy the end to end transparency nor the end
> to end argument presented in the original paper by Saltezer
> et. al:
>
>      The function in question can completely and correctly be
>      implemented only with the knowledge and help of the application
>      standing at the end points of the communication system. Therefore,
>      providing that questioned function as a feature of the
>      communication system itself is not possible.
>
> While plain NAT, which actively hide itself from end systems,
> which means there can be no "knowledge and help of the
> application" expected, is very harmful to the end to end
> transparency, it is possible to entirely neutralize the
> harmful effects, by let NAT boxes ask help end systems.
>
>> An argument you and others have made many times boils down
> > to "but if we never had NAT, think how much better it
> > would be!"
>
> The reality is much better that NAT is not so harmful if NAT
> clients and gateways are designed properly to be able to
> reverse the harmful translations by NAT gateways.
>
> I have running code to make the reverse translations, with
> which protocols such as ftp with PORT commands are working.
>
> 					Masataka Ohta

No, I think you do not understand...

I have a NAT gateway with a single public address.

I have 15 FTP servers and 22 web servers behind it.

I want people to be able to go to ftp://<hostname> and/or http://<hostname> for each of them.

Please explain to me how your code solves this problem?

Yeah, thought so.

Owen