WW: Colo Vending Machine

Eric Stewart eric at usf.edu
Fri Feb 17 21:06:33 UTC 2012

On 2/17/2012 3:06 PM, Peter Kristolaitis wrote:
> Don't forget the 30lb sledgehammer for those times when, ah,
> "percussive maintenance" is the only possible solution.  ;)

My previous job had me managing our presence in a data center.  For
several months, in the row of racks across the hot aisle from ours,
there was another customer of the data center who had apparently decided
to only plug in one of the two power supplies for some drive array they
had ... which resulted in a nice, steady beep.  While not excessively
loud, you could still make it out from several rows away.  For those
months, within five minutes of being in the data center, I wanted to
perform percussive maintenance ... first on that equipment, then on the
idiot who let it go for more than day beeping like that.

Eric Stewart - Network Administrator - eric at usf.edu
University of South Florida, Information Technology