Common operational misconceptions

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Fri Feb 17 19:35:03 UTC 2012

> A tech trying to troubleshoot it and fix it themselves is going to be
> hounded every five minutes for status updates and won't be able to get
> any work done because every five minutes (I kid you not, I have worked
> where that is a requirement) he has to pull his head out of what he is
> doing and answer a bunch of questions from the PHBs.  And you always
> get "how long is it going to be" and you want to say "10 minutes longer
> than it would have been if you hadn't interrupted me" but you bite your
> tongue.

Though the flip side of that is that if someone has been neck deep in a problem for hours, you should force them to take a break, go get a drink of water, step outside for fresh air or a smoke if they do, or just talk to a colleague for a moment and review the problem.  In my case, the stepping away for a few minutes has sometimes allowed the answer to the problem to suddenly snap into focus or in the process of describing it to someone else the forming of the thoughts to describe it often allows a new aspect of the problem to become visible that you hadn't noticed before.