Common operational misconceptions

Leo Bicknell bicknell at
Fri Feb 17 12:25:11 CST 2012

In a message written on Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 06:06:52PM +0000, George Bonser wrote:
> Heh, that's been a notion I have had for a while.  Opening an all-night shop somewhere in Silicon Valley that sold patch cords, memory sticks, disk drives, maybe even common router blades, optics modules, fans, etc.  Sell it for a bit more margin than the going rate for the "day" shops and ONLY be open at night/early morning, say 7pm to 11am.  Maybe do some "remote hands" work, too.

I've repeatedly asked $BIG_COLO_PROVIDERS to offer a vending machine
in the lobby next to the one with sodas that sold Cat 5, Fiber,
SFP's, USB sticks, and so on.  Even at a moderate margin I suspect it
would be quite profitable to them, and quite welcomed by customers who
show up in the middle of the night when nothing is open and need parts.

       Leo Bicknell - bicknell at - CCIE 3440
        PGP keys at